The fish are on a much needed vacation while we are busy with winter maintenance.
See you at the sea when we re-open mid February!
The Aquarium & Shark Lab by TeamECCO:
* the first inland aquarium in NC
* Member of: American Elasmobranch Society; NC Science Network; Marine Educators; American Meteorological Society; past Chair for Career & Technical Education Advisory Board HCPS; NC Environmental Education Site; Fish Education Site for REEF;
* Networks with the GA Aquarium, River Banks Zoo, the FL State Aquarium, the Key West Aquarium, and John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park
* Has done service work and training at the Biosphere2 in AZ.
* Houses the only immersive marine science intern program for college and high school students in WNC
The Aquarium & Shark Lab is focused on education, enrichment, and exploration of the ocean world.
Science, history, math, and culture are integrated into our exhibits and programs. Like the tide, we are in continuous motion saying "Why not" and "What if" as our students and interns research ideas, document, and defy existing standards.
"Took my ten year old granddaughter one rainy afternoon. We so enjoyed the friendly staff eager to answer questions and share information! Would recommend this for anyone interested in having a wonderful up close view of the fish!"
"There are lots of aquariums, touch pool, and people to help in this Main Street store front aquarium. Every time I have families with children visit this is a place I take them, and have never been disappointed."
"Loved this place. Very friendly staff of volunteers. Clear rules and lots of touching for young minds. Kids can spend an hour in here if they are the curious sort."
Use this link to inquire about scheduling a private class or program for your school, group, or facility.
Volunteer forms are taken throughout the year, and new volunteer are accepted as openings occur.
Intern forms are taken after March 15, May 15, and August 15
Job openings are posted as available
All persons seeking donations from TEAM ECCO are asked to submit a formal request on letter head stating:
* purpose of event
* date of event
* who is served
* location of event
* clear contact information
Please submit directly to :
All donations will go directly to the care and feeding of our 250+ fish, reptiles, and invertebrates. Your kind support will allow us to o9ffer the highest level of nutrition and care for a healthy and happy aquarium family.